Heartland consultants are certified in Strategic Visioning (SV) a uniquely flexible methodology for visually aided strategic analysis. It supports strategy development, alignment, and change for organizations and communities. The foundation of the SV process is engaging stakeholders in thoughtful conversations, visually supported, that bring key stakeholders into consensus about new directions. The Heartland approach is unique in that we integrate the SV process with collective impact principals and funding directions using our Five-Step Sustainability Process.
Check out a few of our planning tools!
The Bold Steps Vision: After creating a desired end state (the vision), it is time to step back and determine how that end state is going to be reached. A preliminary way to bridge the gap between where the group currently is and where they want to be is to brainstorm ‘big, bold steps’. These are the big, main areas that will need to be accomplished. Actions that have many smaller, more detailed actions embedded in them.
The SPOT Matrix: Heartland utilizes VS templates produced through our GROVE SV Certification. Our take on the ever popular SWOT matrix involves analyzing the strengths, problems (weaknesses), opportunities and inherent threats to the organization, group, or community. This helps all individuals in the room pool their thoughts into one place and builds a solid picture of the current conditions of a community.
Policies & Procedures Review
Strong policies and procedures are critical for Head Start and Early Head Start programs. Heartland offers policy and procedures assistance using three primary strategies:
- Policies and Procedures Review
- Policies and Procedures Consulting (priced per-content
- Policies and Procedures Development for New Head Start
and Early Head Start Programs
CLASS® & Coaching
The use of the CLASS ® system in Head Start and its connection to recompetition has made it more important than ever for programs to keep a tight focus on continuous quality improvement. Heartland offers several types of assistance designed to support programs working to implement the CLASS system. Services can be delivered on-site or remotely utilizing our own highly trained CLASS®team. Support includes:
- CLASS® training for new staff, beginners, and experienced staff.
- CLASS® observations that can be used to support the recompetition process and quality improvement and to drive professional development and leverage strengths, while addressing areas of concern.
- CLASS® coaching for leadership team members to help them support staff and technical assistance to support programs in creating and implementing coaching strategies and models that reflect the needs and goals of staff and the program.
All CLASS® observations and consultations are delivered by certified CLASS® reliable observers, instructional coaches, and trainers who have completed in-depth trainings from Teachstone. Our methods include the use of mentoring, videos from Heartland's own CLASS® video vault, and specialized tools customized for your program that further support the use of validated CLASS® support tools. Our training and support is customized, targeted, and goes beyond what you will find using online and other training sources.
Federal Review Preparation
Nervous about an upcoming review? Heartland has you covered. The review prep sessions provided by Heartland staff are customized to the needs of individual programs. Based on the Head Start Aligned Monitoring System (AMS 2.0) Heartland's process utilizes consultants that have actively participated in Head Start reviews to guide you through the process so you know what to expect and so you can successfully present your program to the federal review team. Services include:
- Focus Area 1: Heartland staff work collaboratively so that your team receives a guided overview of the most recent federal review protocol, followed by a discussion of potential challenges and strategies for demonstrating program competency and strength across all content areas. The team is also prepared to provide training and technical assistance that carries your team forward through the review.
- Focus Area 2: The Heartland team utilizes our proprietary tools to assess your program readiness for the on-site federal review. This typically occurs on-site using data from your program. Staff walk away ready to present the program to the federal review team with the confidence needed to successfully pass the federal review.